Sunday 29 April 2012

My current networks aka 3a

Networking was drummed into us at performing arts college as if you had to get yourself an invite to every party, wear your best dress and beg for a job. Of course this approach is unrealistic for any one but the very thought of it makes me nervous and I have never been to good at putting myself out there. I think this concept has meant I have had a negative approach towards networking and I have always associated it with a form of desperation and arrogance. When in reality the definition is: to cultivate people who can be helpful to one professionally, especially in finding employment or moving to a higher position. Why would I not want to improve my networking? Sometimes it's true it's not what you know it's who you know. 

I approached the the next theme - the networked professional by firstly looking at other peoples blogs.  This is pretty apt as the bapp blogs are my newest network and by engaging in my network I am able to move forward with new ideas and insight.  I love Simone Grandjean's idea that our networks are like a game of snakes and ladders, it may be about reaching the top of our game but we can go side to side to find our way and we might slip down the ladder a couple of times in order to get there. http://sgandjean.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/my-networks.html.  I also like Luke Bohanna's idea that our networks can be a universe of planets that are constantly revolving and evolving.  That some of our network planets are closer to us, the sun than others and it is about understanding where to place them. http://lukebohanna.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/task-3a-current-networks.html  In order to understand my own networks I used my knowledge that I think I am a visual learner to create the diagram below.

 

From this I can begin to use the main tools that I already use in my practice.

1. Friends and colleagues
In all areas of my work this is my main network the people around me everyday!  I have met lots of different people through my different career paths and I have learnt something from every single one of them.  It is important to maintain these relationships not only for personally but in my professional practice as well.  By building strong relationship with people I work with in the performing industry they now inform me of when things are casting and auditions are being held as I don't have an agent.  In maintaining a great relationship with employers I have been offered other work - if you don't remind them you are around then you are easily forgotten.  I admire people I know in the performing world who work so hard to make contacts that they never give up, I wish I had this persistence.  They get a number or an email and they won't give up until they get a reply - I might send one or two but then I think well they aren't interested.  It is hard to find the balance between persistence and annoyance but I think I could try harder sometimes.  I don't know if this is true but I heard that Kate Winslet wrote to James Cameron every day until she was seen for Titanic - the rest is history.  I will work to gain contacts in all fields of my work.  In my teaching work I am constantly learning from those around me and assessing how I can improve and better my skills. By maintaining relationships with parents and teachers I have worked with in a school setting I am asked to return and therefore get more work.  I am very new to education recruitment and I am in the process of building the ever so important bonds with my colleagues and soaking up all the information they can give me.  I admire any form of experience and success and no matter how far away my peers maybe I work to maintain relationships I have built as you never know where it may lead.

2. Facebook
Facebook is great for keeping in the loop and knowing what is going on within my direct network and those a little further away.  I am often invited to events by people I have not seen for a very long time that could be great to go along to - I need to make more of this.  It is a great way to keep in touch with people on the other side of the world that I have met.  There is also casting links through facebook and teaching opportunities that arise when people need cover.  There is to much to mention that I get out of facebook.  I like to keep my business quite private and although it is called social networking I really do not like the unsocial element of it. I would rather a friend called me to invite me somewhere or say happy birthday but I am quite old fashioned like that. However I feel I have learnt to turn this social networking site into a professional network as well.  The benefits to my networking are endless through facebook, I just found a new flat mate through facebook - that is actually an old friend.  I am not a member of twitter and this is something I plan to change as if facebook can be beneficial I am sure twitter can do.  My ideal network would include more people who can help me professionally and sites like twitter make every one obtainable with a bit of hard work and persistence.

3. Casting websites
I currently use casting websites spotlight, casting call pro and the stage to find out about castings to apply for.  Even if the work advertised is not suitable it is great to have an idea of what is going on in order to have food for conversation with those in the field.  I think I could make more of myself on these websites.  I admire those who really put their work out there and have the confidence to share their work with others openly.  These are the people who get the work.  I am sometimes afraid of scrutiny but how will people ever know what I have to offer if I do not share it.  I want my network to involve more professionals and only I can do something about that.  I would like to create my own website and also upload my newly put together show reel.  I am always checking websites for the companies I would love to work for to see if there is any casting opportunities.


4.  BAPP blog
My newest network is the bapp blogs.  It is a new way of learning and interacting for me and I often find myself wishing I could meet up or have a phone conversation with my fellow bappers.  I think I can utilise this new network to help me work better.  I have spent hours looking at and reading other people's blogs but rarely comment.  This is something I aim to change as I know how helpful it is when I receive a comment myself.

Just from looking deeper into my existing networks I can see that I primarily associate my networking with the performing element of my career.  Networking exists in all areas of work and I aim to develop this further as I learn new skills. 

Hollie x



No comments:

Post a Comment