Tuesday 1 May 2012

Sources of information aka 3c

"Experience has long been considered the best teacher of knowledge.  Since we cannot experience everything, other people's experiences, and hence other people, become the surrogate for knowledge. 'I store my knowledge in my friends' is an axiom for collecting knowledge though collecting people." Karen Stephenson

Stephenson states that in collecting people we are collecting knowledge.  This is a notion that I have a strong belief in.  I believe that meeting new people from all backgrounds is where we gain our most valuable knowledge and lessons in life.  Looking outward to other theories surrounding networking in 3c I began to see the whole process in a new light.  The psychological element of our practice is of great interest to me - Why we do what we do? Why we make certain decisions and when? The study of other theories broadened my understanding to the fact that every circle I operate within is a network I am sourcing from not just those I consider as my 'professional' networks in relation to work. 

While on the train home today I got thinking about the networks I have joined most recently and why.  I am looking to move to London and I joined a flat share network on line in order to find a cheaper place.  I joined this network to solve a problem, to find a solution.  And it led me to a thought, isn't that why we join all our networks in life - to find a solution.  Whether it be to find a support in friends, the answer to career aspirations or a flatmate we are searching for a solution are we not?  I believe that my desire to make a difference has lead me to subconsciously collect people from many different walks of life in order to collect the knowledge I need to find a solution to my aspirations.  Does that make sense? It does to me and it is rather enlightening.  But how do I collect those people:

1. Face to face This is a source of information that I feel can never be 'topped'.  In a world of technology connections can become so impersonal and distant.  I never have and don't believe I ever will under estimate the power of face to face meetings.  I do not believe you can create a true and sincere connection through a screen or even a phone, you can maintain one but not create one.  In my busy lifestyle phone conversations can be brief and rushed.  By taking the time out of my schedule to sit down and invest time in talking things through the conversations become invaluable and essential to my progression.  My friends are my closest and best network, in building a close relationship I can share fears, achievements, good news and bad.  Talking things through has always helped me make sense of situations and work out how I feel and in turn determining my direction.  Most of my jobs have come through these connections I have made too.  Without affiliation with people we do not share, without sharing there is no network.  We learn to trust people and then we are willing to invest.

2. Phone/text/email I have grouped these together as for me they balance in importance regarding my sources for information.  In reality this is the source that I use the most in my networking practice and I would not function professionally without it like most people in this age.  It is a quick and easy source of information sharing that is so convenient and effective.  In my professional world it is my best way of maintaining contact. An email, text or phone call to a previous work colleague, casting director or employer is not imposing or intrusive when actioned in the correct circumstances and fashion.  It is a great way to stay 'in the loop' and remain at the forefront of people's minds.  By signing up to chosen mailing lists I receive texts and emails that relate to my practice on a daily basis.  What a great source of information - it is sent to me I don't even have to spend time looking for it.  I do not believe I would be able to operate in my networks with out any of these tools.

3. The Internet Where do I start? The information is endless and my practice centres around the knowledge that can be found.  I use search sites like google everyday to expand my learning and open up opportunities.  Anything you want to know you can find online.  It is fact not experience, I feel that experience is a more valuable learning tool but I have found my experiences through the web.  In a way it is means to an experience.  I use social networking sites to stay in touch with affiliations I have made and be a part of new ones as an when it works for me.  I think I could utilise the tools within the web more but I do my best to keep up and at the end of the day there is always going to be more because it develops and grows everyday as I suppose we do too.  I never thought I would be doing a degree through the web!

4. Literature Although a lot of the literature I read is sourced online I still see it as a separate form of information.  I try to keep up to date with what is going on in my fields through literature in the form of subject news and articles.  This is a source I would love to build upon as I feel it would make me a more rounded and informed practioner.  It is so important to keep up to date with the ever changing world and progression within our own networks.  We may go to share but without information we can become stuck.  I love to read and always blame the time factor for not doing enough.  I believe that always as being informed about what is happening now it is important to know what has come before.  Literature provides us with that and I still trust a book more than the web - although I suppose both should be approached with a level of critical reflection.

5. Personal accounts This is a source of information that I use to analyse my own thoughts and feelings about my experiences.  As I have learnt from my journey on the BAPP course it is just as important to look in as it is to look out.  This consists of notebooks, journals, letters I never send, drawings and photos.  This is where the old-fashioned side of me comes out and I really value these practices.  I consider them to be a great source of information to look back on and understand how I felt in order to see if I have moved on, stayed the same or fallen back.  These practices hold great importance to me and help me puzzle through things.  I wish I had a better way of organising my thoughts and feelings but I also believe that thoughts and feelings can always be organised and when mine are not that is when I partake in these practices.  It is a very small network of my own experiences but I believe it be one of the most important to observe and maintain.

No comments:

Post a Comment