Sunday 21 October 2012

Before you raise your hand.....think!


                                           


Before I raise my hand I need to stop and think about important things to consider.  Having worked as a teaching assistant recently I have been reminded that a young child's questions are endless and usually asked without thought but as we progress through our education our teachers remind us to stop and think before we ask.  When raising my hand I clearly remember being asked "Hollie is your question relevant right now?" "Hollie is your question important?" The voices of my secondary school teachers need to resound right now as I formulate my line of inquiry.

Alan Durrant reiterated this at the campus session and we discussed important things to consider:

  • Do research on the person you are asking the questions to and word them accordingly.
  • Find clarity in the question.
  • Consider the environment and scenario you are asking the questions in - one-to-one or group, what has happened previously.
  • What is my intent behind the question?
  • Ethically who should I ask?
  • Who has the competency to answer the question?
  • What do I want to get from this question?
  • Is my line of questioning influenced by social questioning?
  • Am I asking the right questions in the right context?
  • How many questions do you have to ask to get the right answer?
  • Validity of the question.
  • Can I expand out of my comfort zone? Am I always asking the same questions?
  • Who has the insight and experience I need to draw from?
  • What are the motives behind my question?
  • Unpack assumptions and expectations.
  • Survey widely - not just where you know you will get the answers you want!
  • Interview technique - turn it into a conversation this is where you get the best answers.
  • Think about type of questions - instant and crafted.
BIAS!!

This is really important to consider! We came to the conclusion that we are all going to be a little biased regarding our inquirys because we think these subjects are important enough to research and discover more about but as long as we admit that and we are honest about it there is no problem.  It is our opinion and we are entitled to that as long as we are open to the opinion of others too.  If we are clear about where are questions are coming from and conduct authentic research then the issue of bias will dissipate.  An important thing for me to remember is to expose my question ideas to a variety of people not just those I know will tell me what I want to hear!

I found this video song about bias that a teacher made for his physcology students - have a listen it's quite catchy - also great to see a teacher using creative tool to aid learning!




So there is lots to consider before I raise my hand I guess!

Hollie x
 

No comments:

Post a Comment