Thursday 16 February 2012

Chapter 3: This is me continued...

A CV is so powerful and I think that this is where the stigma attached to it lies.  I believe that we all avoid updating our CV because we know it's power and how important it is to get it right.  We spend the majority of our lives working so I have always had a goal to find the right job that I enjoy and a CV holds the key to finding that so no wonder it is scary.  I have been doing a bit more research to develop my key to the dream job offer. 

Firstly I have adapted my blog profile to include more detail about work I have done.  I want it to be personable and professional at the same time.  Let me know how you think I have done on getting this balance.

After looking at other blogs I particularly like how Ahmet Ahmet has created a CV that shouts about his teaching work but still includes his performing experience.  I think this style would work well for me and I will look to create something similar.  It is also very clear and to the point which I think mine is lacking. Thanks Ahmet.

I noticed that Paula Nottingham had recommended some links on her blog so I took a look.

www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv/actorcv.htm

This page looks at a performers CV.  The key elements that are relevant to my progression in this area are as follows:
  • Include spotlight and equity number - can create an online link.
  • Include links to reviews and examples of work.
  • Include a skills section.
  • Make sure CV is only one page.
I also found this page helpful:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business

This is relevant to my current teaching CV.  One particular element of the mentioned structure stood out to me as I feel I need to work on it. The profile, which is the first thing a potential employer will read.  I quote the above page "A personal profile sells yourself and your qualities, it should be tailored towards the job you are applying for."  I feel I can spend some time here to make sure I am selling myself to maximum capability.  It spoke of the importance of keeping your CV positive throughout and keeping all the information relevant.  It is easy to get lost somewhere in the middle and I do have a tendency to waffle on so I will work on making it to the point.  It is also looks at the importance of tailoring your CV to each and every job you apply for.  I make small changes but I feel this is something I can progress further.

I also found this page which I thought had some really great tips so take a look.

http://career-advice.monster.co.uk/cvs-applications/careers.aspx 

It had a great video that makes the tips more accessible.  It is business based but I feel it is still relevant to creative and education industries.  I particularly like the last thing mentioned "your only limitation is your own creativity."


I also had the idea to use my resources around me to help me develop my CV.  I have some friends who work in recruitment and look at CV's everyday.  I thought it would be beneficial to ask them a few questions that I would like to know.  Here is what I have so far:

  • What makes a CV instantly stand out so you continue to read?
  • What makes you instantly discard a CV?
  • Should you always include all your experience even if you do not feel it is relevant to the particular job (if you choose not to it may lead to career gaps on CV) ?
  • If you are following multiple career paths should you keep these CV's separate?
  • If you practised the same skills in different jobs should you repeat them or not?
  • Do your clients search potential employees within social networking platforms eg. facebook, twitter, blogs?
  • Do your clients often ask for hard copy CV's or is it all done online?
  • Are clients starting to use video CV's at all?
  • Do you have any brief tips/biggest mistakes to share?
If you have any other questions you would like to ask please let me know. Thanks.
Hollie x

4 comments:

  1. Hollie,

    Whilst reading this blog it occurred to me what we are all doing. One by one, this course is starting to make us question and look into the way we carry out our practice. From CV's and profiles to the way we network. Each of us has stopped, reflected and analyse our professional communication.

    I agree with you that the CV is changing and Web 2.0 has a huge deal to do with this. Suddenly linking blogs and attaching videos will be a thing of the norm. These tools can give a good impression and do the job of your CV both more effectively and quicker.

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hollie, this is very helpful, i am definitely one of those people that avoids updating my CV. You have really researched in detail how to improve ones CV. I am definetly going to study the key elements and start to draft up a new CV

    Afi :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hollie, I have found this so interesting. I don't necessarily struggle with combining teaching/dance credits, but have noticed that within my 'working' CV I have the odd jobs which definitely could show competence for different casting directors. This has definitely highlighted to me the importance of a good CV.
    And I completely agree with Ahmet in the fact that all these web 2.0 platforms have definitely enhanced all the ways in which we can now advertise ourselves as it were!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going back to your earlier CVs (multiple) it looks like you are thinking through amended versions by inquiring and analysing - I will comment more on Chapter 3 blog 6th March as that seems to be the next step. The CV is definitely still alive and well in the workplace as a means of conveying information - whether on paper or digital or verbal...

    ReplyDelete