Wednesday 7 November 2012

A bit of fresh air


I wanted to share a recent diary entry with you, here goes:

So I went to Wales this weekend to see a friend in a play (hence the sheep picture).  A bit of fresh air along with long chats over a yummy pint of ale gave me a fresh outlook on a few things.

I am a bit of dreamer so I really try to live in the present moment but recently I think I have become a bit bogged down in this and lost sight of what I really want to do.  I am really passionate about theatre and what it can do for young people, I think this is evident to all who know me.  At the weekend I got really inspired to do more. After discussing a few companies I would love to work and being informed of other amazing projects I had not heard of my friend said 'what is stopping you?, why don't you just do it?, why can't you work for them?'  If I am honest I was stumped for an answer and I still don't really have one apart from the fear of rejection I guess.

I like to think I am a positive person but when it comes to my career I am left thinking maybe I am not.  I want to achieve great things but I am not going to do that just by dreaming.  My friend went on to say 'just write to people what harm can it do - and if you get ignored just keep trying.  We are all unique and that is what sets us apart.  Somewhere you will fit because no-one else is you.'  I like this approach and I think it relates to my professional inquiry too!  People may have asked similar questions and I will draw on what they found but at the end of the day our inquiry will differ because we are different.  We won't explore exactly the same avenues and no-one will write about it or answer the question like me because they aren't me!

I also spoke to a friend of hers about various theatre companies that inspire me and she said 'why don't you start your own?'  My immediate reaction was I can't do that, little old me definitely not!  But why not?  With more knowledge and my existing passion why couldn't I make t a success?

This is an extreme example but it just got me thinking.  I can do anything - don't just dream make it happen.

I need to get writing letters

Hollie x

No comments:

Post a Comment