Wednesday 7 November 2012

Award title

So I move on to propose my award title!  In asking my questions, reflecting on these and my previous, present and future practice my topic of interest is:

Theatre - Inclusive, community, outreach

But is this my award title?  This is my area of interest but it is quite specific and I do not want to limit myself in regards to my future career and use of my degree.  I also feel that in being too specific it would be assumed that I was very knowledgeable in this field.  Rebecca Clarke and Jo Clarke confirmed this thought as I read a blog where they were discussing this in regards to education.  They came to the conclusion that they could not have education in their award titles as they will not be qualified teachers in the eyes of future employers.

In my previous blog I looked at my transdisciplinary practice - my inquiry topic may be my hopes for the future but is just one third of my practice so my award title can not just be this.  I think it is important to remember the 3 year diploma I have done to be able to do this degree and encompass what that involved.

From looking at what fellow BAPPer's award titles and discussing these it has become apparent that keeping it general keeps opportunities open.  Our line of inquiry is where we find clarity and become specific.  Simone Granjean said that in encompassing the'now' and the 'future' in our award titles we gain simplicity I think this leads to more scope for opportunity and exploration.  I am therefore thinking of the following award titles:

BA Professional Practice Theatre, Performance and Outreach

Or just

BA Professional Practice Theatre Arts

Please let me know what you think!

Hollie x

3 comments:

  1. BA Professional Practice Theatre, Performance and Outreach

    I think this title will open many more doors for you as it covers so much but is also so connected.

    From experience the outreach aspect is the one which you can find most work on especially which inclusive practice. You might want to see if you can add inclusion to the title. You may feel it limits you but EVERYWHERE is seeking inclusion in EVERYTHING at the moment and it would make u look an sound unique to other theatre practitioners.

    Dont know if that helps i always worry that ive read something in the wrong way so then commenting in a totally different tangent. But its just a thought

    if you have a chance could you look at my blog on "what is inclusion" and comment as to what you think it is could it would be great for me to get some outside opinions.

    Hope to hear from you
    Jojox

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with jojo in that i think it should be
    BA Professional Practice Theatre, Performance and Outreach
    I feel this opens up your scope of people and employers that would be interested in you with this award title but without it being to specific that you would be viewed to have qualifications that you do not possess, i too struggled with this as i was contemplating having education in my title as that is what i want to progress onto but right now i do not possess that knowledge to include it.
    I feel it gets your point across and expresses all the avenues you possess knowledge on.

    steph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi JoJo and Steph,

    Firstly thank you for your comments! I definately prefer the title you both recognised I am just worried that adding outreach will make me look like I am very advanced in this field and I don't think I will be. What do you think? I suppose no one knows everything about one subject and I am hoping to know a lot more about it.

    Jojo I think I thought that inclusive theatre would be covered in outreach do you think is it better to use the word inclusive as a seperate subject? I guess I just didn't want to make it too specific and limit myself. However having progessed with my line of inquiry I am looking at specifically looking into inclusive theatre so what do you think of?

    BA Professional Practice Theatre, Performance and Inclusive

    Thanks
    Hollie x

    ReplyDelete