Sunday 18 November 2012

Labels limit learning


Gemma Wright Press commented on my last blog that she had been to a workshop with James Nottingham - that is the guy in the video above.  I looked into his work and found this video.  James talks about learning in relation to children but I think it directly links to our journeys on BAPP.  He talks about how learning is about making progress not being the best.  In regards to our professional inquirys we need to work out where we are starting from in order to work out what we want to know to judge our progress at the end NOT if we were the best.  If we change our attitude to focusing on personal progress our application enhances.  We are given labels from a young age of things we can and can not do and in approaching something we have been told we are not so good at our application lessens because we immediately associate it with a struggle.  James talks about this theory:

Application = Value x Expectation

We may value something but if our self expectation is low our application will also be.  I think I have a tendency to have a low expectation of myself on this course because I am a creative and practical person, I am not very good at intellectual study - at least that's what I have been labelled as!  In letting go of that and making it about progress my application will heighten.

In relation to my line of inquiry I know I am starting from a very small knowledge base and my journey through my inquiry is about my personal progress not getting comparing myself to others and striving to replicate their level of knowledge.

This whole theory relates to striving for an inclusive society maybe this is why it interests me so much.  Thanks Gemma it is a long video but if you have the time I think it is worth a watch.

Hollie x

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Hollie, a really interesting watch. Not only in enabling us to understand ourselves better, but also something to think about for those of us who teach.

    ReplyDelete