Saturday 10 November 2012

May have hit my idea....maybe.....


After a chat with Alan Durrant about my progression with a line of inquiry I feel clearer and more positive about my approach.  He reminded me to think about where I was coming from in asking my question. He told me to imagine myself at the end of the BAPP course and distinguish what I want - not in terms of my career but what I wanted to have gained.  I want to gain knowledge about a new field, I want to understand what is going on out there and where it has stemmed from, I want to know how I can get involved.  This doesn't mean I am ignoring what I currently do and enjoy I am simply adding to it.

This discovery led to me deciding that as a whole I want to gain knowledge.  This will help me progress in this new field even if it is just no longer being a novice and being able to hold a conversation on the topic.  The topic I really want to explore is inclusive theatre and if I am honest with myself I don't really know anything about it.

So it is about mapping out inclusive theatre and understanding the territory.  Looking at it's features, domains, where it is inhabited and uninhabited.  Understanding what is going on in that field, where it has come from and how.  Looking at the development of access within inclusive companies and beyond - what symptoms are indicative of creating change.  Our values and perceptions of disability for example are changing but what is driving it - politics, human nature, other countries?  Maybe it is about drawing a comparative study to look at the underlying principles.  We spoke about agencies and how we are all acting on behalf of someone or something in everything we do.  So I could look at the agencies behind inclusive theatre:

What are the social drives behind inclusive theatre?

This question will enable me to gain knowledge and have an informed opinion on current practice.  It isn't for definite yet but I am feeling positive about it.

I spoke with Alan about exploring literature and he made a good point that literature doesn't necessarily mean going to the library and ploughing your way through endless books to find something useful.  If I followed the inquiry mentioned my literature would lie in current companies and what they do so I would explore their websites, articles written by them and productions/projects that they have done. 

We also spoke about the course as a whole and how sometimes I feel I lack direction but the BAPP is all about taking responsibility.  Alan said 'people that you admire have got there by themselves.  They are centred and knowledgeable about themselves.  They are self reflective and self questioning - you need to grasp doing the same in order to take control and progress.'  He also mentioned that 'we need to get into a confused space to move forward - if everything made sense then we would not be learning.  When you think you understand something - grab on to something new.'

This conversation really helped me so I wanted to share it - hope it helps you in some way too!

Hollie x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hollie. Thank you for sharing Alan's wise words. Definately food for thought. I recently attended a CPD course given by James Nottingham around the subject of teaching outstanding lesson. He also outlined the theory that in order to learn students must work outside and above their comfort zone, where wobbling will occur, in order for knowledge to increase. He related his theories to John Hattie's effect size. Check out his work in the link below, hopefully this will help you further.

    http://www.jamesnottingham.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it (Pablo Picasso).

    ReplyDelete